In every magazine on the shelves in every shop there is always a section for weight loss, recipes, slimming and detoxes. You cannot escape it. Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook are just a few of the very many social media platforms that people use to promote the most popular, fastest working, celebrity endorsed weight loss body detox. Detoxing is a subject of huge importance across the health and beauty industry and performing regular body cleanses and detoxes are a core principle of most fitness fanatic’s beliefs. A detox is a process in which a person makes lifestyle changes to clear their body of toxins, whether that means trying out the Paleo way of living or embarking on a Whole 30 journey or simply juicing down every fruit, vegetable and table leg you have in the house to get your vitamins and minerals and have your body nourished.
We humans are in constant contact with harmful organisms and pollutants and though we are well equipped with an immune system designed purely to head off these nasties, that doesn’t mean we cannot go the extra mile and embark on some home total body cleansers to make life a little easier and stave off illness that bit longer. There is no practical way to protect yourself from toxins unless you chose to live the entirety of your life in a hermetically sealed suit, which definitely wouldn’t work! The body has the natural ability to cleanse itself and detoxify itself and remove waste. We have an entire system dedicated to it. Our excretory system plays the largest role here and the skin is a barrier to many toxins getting into our bodies. We sweat out a lot of toxins every day and there are six ways to detox your body effectively:
- Choosing the right food is one of the best things you can do to support your body’s detoxification process. Choosing organic fruit and veg and living in the ‘cleanest’ way possible will help. We don’t mean spraying your food in bleach and giving it a scrub, but eating a lot less processed and refined sugars can really make the difference to your system.
- Exercise helps to maintain a healthy muscular structure and meditation helps to maintain a healthy mind. Sweating during a workout is literally like the fat is crying off your body and this will help rid you of toxins built up while toning muscles. Meditation clears your mind as stress can be just as harmful!
- Strict raw, organic, vegan diets can help your body maintain a low level of toxins instead of a high level that sugar and alcohol provides. The thing is with much of life’s pleasures revolving around food it can be difficult.
- Breathing our currently over polluted air is another way of ingesting toxins. Breathing cleaner air can help this but of course, you cannot control the environment outside. Proper ventilation in the home can make such a difference and if you’re a smoker, I don’t even need to go into the reasons you should put down the cancer sticks and live a longer, healthier life.
- We are made up of mostly water so it stands to reason that keeping well hydrated will help your body to function properly. Plain water tastes amazing when cold so chill a few bottles and keep them going through the day. You need it to perspire, produce saliva and remove waste so keeping hydrated keeps your body alert and healthy.
- A total body cleanse can be a long and committed process but doing one every couple of months can keep your body healthier from the inside.